Have you ever been at the grocery store but not known what to pick up for dinner? You saw a lot of good recipes online and maybe even saved some of them. But trying to think of what they were and the ingredients you need while walking the aisles can be challenging.
This was me for so many years. I’d usually end up buying a taco kit or ground turkey for burgers. But recently I came up with a great idea that really works and makes shopping, especially on the spur of the moment, really easy.
First you need a Pinterest account. (If you have a Pinterest account already, you can skip this paragraph.) If you’re not familiar with Pinterest, just download the app, create an account and and start making “boards” for things you like. It’s totally free and so much fun. Examples of boards can include “Ground Beef Recipes,” “Crock Pot Meals,” or “Great Grilling Ideas.” Note: You’re recipes don’t have to originate from Pinterest. If you go to a site like AllRecipes.com, you can pin any recipe from there, or just about anywhere on the web (Facebook is one exception). Usually there’s a red “Pin It” button by the recipe.
You’ll need the Pinterest app loaded on your phone to do this, although you can pin from your tablet or desktop when searching, finding and pinning the recipes.
Here’s how my Pinterest board looks when I go to my profile page.
Once you have your Pinterest app and you’re signed into it, follow these steps:
- Create many boards, especially ones for recipes.
- Create one board called “A Menu Plan.” By adding the letter “A” before “Menu Plan” it will list the board at the top of your feed so when you’re in the store you won’t have to scroll to find it.
- At home scroll through your recipes on your regular boards and when you find ones you want to have for dinner that week, pin it again on “A Menu Plan.”
- When you’re at the store pull out your phone, open the app and you can easily find a few recipes and quickly scan the ingredients and pick them up.
- After I make a recipe I decide if it’s a keeper. If it is, I repin it again on a board called “Recipes I’ve Tried & Loved.” That way the recipe stands out from the 500 other ones I have on my boards.
Here’s my “A Menu Plan” board for this week: the fourth recipe is a little hidden from the
By using this method, it keeps me on track with what I want to eat. If I don’t have a plan like this, I often find myself at the end of the day being tired and not having the ingredients on hand that I need. That can lead to ordering pizza for dinner or running through a drive thru.
I’ve had so much success with this process and I think you will too. If you give it a try please comment and let me know it worked or you!
Copyright: <a href="https://www.123rf.com/profile_arinahabich">arinahabich / 123RF Stock Photo</a>